VID Reviews NYC Composting Program in Forum at the March General Meeting
On March 8th VID will present a forum on the NYC Composting Program … or How Greenwich Village Will Be Getting Greener!
One third of what New Yorkers throw away is food scraps and other waste and that can be used to generate renewable energy as well as compost to create soil.
To explain how local residents can participate in New York City’s innovative waste collection programs, Village Independent Democrats (VID) will host Tal Zaken, Senior Coordinator, Organics Outreach in the Bureau of Recycling and Sustainability of the Department of Sanitation, at its general meeting on Thursday, March 8.
Tal will explain how residents and buildings can participate in curbside collection or convenient neighborhood drop-off spots for organic waste material. The meeting, which begins at 6:30 pm, is at St. John’s Lutheran Church Annex, at 83 Christopher Street.
“VID has been working for years to make New York City cleaner and greener,” said Nat Johnson, Chairman of VID’s Environmental Committee. “If extended and developed, this program of the DSNY could be a game-changer in terms of waste removal and renewal.”
The City of New York already operates many compost collection sites in lower Manhattan, including:
- Abingdon Square Greenmarket West 12th Street & 8th Avenue Saturdays: 8am–1pm*
- Hudson River Park’s 14th Street Park at 10th Ave. 14th Street Park at southwest corner of 15th St. and 10th Ave Daily: 7am-7pm
- Hudson River Park’s Chelsea Waterside Park at W. 23rd St. Chelsea Waterside Park at 23rd St. and 11th Ave entrance Daily: 7am-7pm
- Hudson River Park’s Pier 25 at N. Moore St. Pier 25 at N. Moore St. near kid’s playground Daily: 7am-7pm
- Hudson River Park’s Pier 40 at W. Houston St. Pier 40 at Houston St. near Dog Park Daily: 7am-7pm
- Hudson River Park’s Pier 51 at Horatio St. Pier 51 at Horatio St. near comfort station
- Hudson Square – 6th Ave & Spring St, East side of 6th Avenue just north of Spring Street, in front of the entrance to God’s Love We Deliver Hours: T/Th, 8:00am-11:00am, year-round.
- Tompkins Square Greenmarket E 7th St & Ave A Sundays 8am-1pm*
- Union Square Greenmarket NE Section of Union Square Park Mon* , Wed, Fri, Sat* 8am-5pm
- West 23rd Street at 8th Avenue, South side of W 23rd Street, just west of 8th Avenue, in front of the Vitamin Shoppe. Hours: Tu/Th, 8:00am-11:00am, year-round
The full list is at https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/dsny/docs/nyc-food-scrap-drop-off-sites.pdf
See the full agenda for the March 8th Meeting Go to CALENDAR